Wednesday, November 3, 2010

You'll Always Be My Knight In Shining Armor!

I wanted to share a card I made recently for my best friend. She wanted me to make her a birthday card for her boyfriend...he is in to the SCA medieval game stuff. So I not only had to challenge myself to make a card to suit a man, but one who was having a medieval themed birthday party!

At first I didn't even know where to began...because I didn't have any medieval stamps or any idea how I was going to make it look masculine. Masculine and me usually don't get along...lol! I started out by looking for digital stamps of knights and couldn't find any that she really liked, until I came across this adorable knight coloring image from BusyBeeKidsPrintables and it was FREE! I drew inspiration for the color palette from his crest.

Here is the card I came up with:


I wasn't too sure I liked it because the colors I used aren't really colors I would have chosen and aren't my favorite but she was very pleased with it, so that made me happy!!

Here are a couple more closeups...and I kinda went all out for her and completed it with a custom sticker seal and envelope! I absolutely love love the way the sticker seal turned out and think I will make some more!!


I also tried a new ruffled ribbon technique that I've never done before and I think it turned out really well and suits the card perfectly!

And of course I completed the inside!


And here is the envelope and sticker seal:


This is his crest I drew the color palette from:
This is the actual crest I attached to the card after I scaled it down to fit on top of the shield the knight is carrying.

And if you're interested in the image I used for the card, I got it here:


 Oh and to give credit to the sketch...I found this awesome sight filled with great card sketches. So I used this one for my base inspiration:



CARD INGREDIENTS:
PAPERS: Cobalt blue and yellow potpourri textured card stock, jet black and metallic silver card stock all from "DCWV" and plain white card stock for the base. Patterned floral paper is also from "DCWV".
IMAGE and SENTIMENT: The adorably image is a free coloring page image from BusyBeeKidsPrintables. The sentiment "You'll Always Be My Knight and Shining Armor" is my own computer generated text print out.
INK and COLOR: The image was colored in with PrismaColor Pencils and a Gamsol technique was used.
FEATURES: Machine stitching in and out, image is paper pieced and 3-D mounted and "Stickles" glitter glue was added for sparkle. The background was embossed with the "Fleur De Lis" embossing folder and Cuttlebug machine. The border was done with the castle border punch from "EK Succes". The sentiment was framed with the Labels set from "Spellbinders Nestabilities".
EMBELLISHMENT: Cobalt blue, smoky black and topaz faux rhinestones, Silver pearls, Metallic silver and jet black brads and bright cobalt blue satin ribbon.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

You said it well, when you said you went all out on this card. Its way more then i could have ever asked for!...You did such a great job. There is a reason i asked you for this card and you exceeded my expectations. Thank You Again!!!